Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Notably, Baddeley (working with Graham Hitch) developed an influential model of working memory]], Baddeley's model of working memory, arguing for the existence of multiple short term memory stores, and a separate interacting system for manipulating the content of these stores. The model accounts for much of the empirical data on short-term retention and manipulation of information.
His landmark study in 1975 on 'Capacity of Short Term Memory' showed that people remembered more short words than long words in a recall test. This was called the word length effect and demonstrated that pronunciation time rather that number of items determines the capacity of verbal short term memory.
Other notable works
Baddeley has also part authored a number of neuropsychological tests including the Doors and People, Children's Test of Nonword Repetition (CN REP), the Rivermead Behavioural Memory Test (RBMT), Autographical Memory Interview (AMI), Visual Patterns Test (VPT) and the Speed and Capacity of Language Processing Test (SCOLP).
- Baddeley, A.D. (1983b) Your Memory: a User's Guide, Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Baddeley, A.D., Grant, S., Wight, E. and Thompson, N. (1975) Imagery and visual working memory. In: P.M. Rabbitt and S. Dornic (eds) Attention and Performance, vol. V, London: Academic Press.
- Baddeley, A.D. and Lieberman, K. (1980) Spatial working memory. In: R. Nickerson (ed.) Attention and Performance, vol. VI, London: Academic Press.
- Baddeley, AD. (1978) The trouble with levels: an examination of Craik and Lockhart's framework for memory research, Psychological Review 89: 708-29.
- Baddeley, A.D. (1983a) Working memory, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 302:311-24.
- Baddeley, AD,, Ellis, N.C., Miles, T.R. and Lewin, V.J. (1982) Developmental and acquired dyslexia: a comparison, Cognition 11: 185-99.
- Baddeley, A.D. and Hitch, G. (1974) Working memory, Psychology of Learning and Motivation, vol. 8, 47-90.
- Baddeley, A.D_ and Longman, D.J.A. (1978) The influence of length and frequency on training sessions on the rate of learning to type, Ergonomics 21: 627-35.
- Baddeley, A.D., Hitch, G.J.L (1974). Working Memory, In G.A. Bower (Ed.),
- Baddeley, A.D., Thompson, N., and Buchanan, M., 1975. "Word Length and the Structure of Memory", in Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behaviour, I , 575-589.
- Fellows. Royal Society. URL accessed on 5 January 2011.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Alan Baddeley's biography at the University of York: http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/psych/www/people/biogs/ab50.html
- he:אלן באדלי
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|