Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Philosophy Index: Aesthetics · Epistemology · Ethics · Logic · Metaphysics · Consciousness · Philosophy of Language · Philosophy of Mind · Philosophy of Science · Social and Political philosophy · Philosophies · Philosophers · List of lists
For a long time the term "taxonomy" was unambiguous, but over time the word "taxonomy" gained several other meanings and thus became confusing. To some extent it is being replaced, in its original (and narrow) meaning, by "alpha taxonomy".
Another source of confusion is the relationship to systematics. The words "taxonomy" and "systematics" have a similar history and similar meanings: over time these have been used as synonyms, as overlapping or as completely complementary.
- In today's usage, Taxonomy (as a science) deals with finding, describing and naming organisms. This science is supported by institutions holding collections of these organisms, with relevant data, carefully curated: such institutes include Natural History Museums, Herbaria and Botanical Gardens.
- Systematics (as a science) deals with the relationships between taxa, especially at the higher levels. These days systematics is greatly influenced by data derived from DNA from mitochondria and chloroplasts. This is sometimes known as molecular systematics and is doing well, likely at the expense of taxonomy (Wheeler, 2004).
- Evolutionary tree
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Important publications in taxonomy
- Scientific classification
- Wheeler, Q. D. (2004). Taxonomic triage and the poverty of Phylogeny. Phil. Trans. Roy Soc. London, Biology 359: 571-583.
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System - U.S. Server Mexico Server Canada Server
- Tree of Life
- NCBI Taxonomy
- Taxonomy & Informatics An AMNH & NSF Project
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: definition- taxonomy Ü
- Do Plant Species Really Exist - article on a study by University Bloomington scientists
Major subfields of biology
Anatomy - Astrobiology - Biochemistry - Bioinformatics - Botany - Cell biology - Ecology - Developmental biology - Evolutionary biology - Genetics - Genomics - Marine biology - Human biology - Microbiology - Molecular biology - Origin of life - Paleontology - Parasitology - Pathology - Physiology - Taxonomy - Zoology
bg:Таксономия eo:Taksonomio es:Taxonomia fr:Taxinomie he:טקסונומיה hu:Rendszertan li:Taxonomie nl:Taxonomie ru:Таксономия simple:Taxonomy sv:Systematik (biologi) vi:Phân loại học zh:分类学
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|