Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Anthrozoology is the study of human-animal interaction. It is a modern interdisciplinary and burgeoning field that overlaps with a number of other disciplines, including anthropology, ethology, medicine, psychology, veterinary medicine and zoology. A major focus of anthrozoologic research is the quantifying of the positive effects of human-animal relationships on either party and the study of the reality of their interactions.
Example areas of study
- The interaction and enhancement within captive animal interactions.
- Affective (emotional) or relational bonds between humans and animals
- Human perceptions and beliefs in respect of other animals.
- How some animals fit into human societies.
- How these vary between cultures, and change over times.
- The study of animal domestication: how and why domestic animals evolved from wild species (paleoanthrozoology).
- Captive zoo animal bonds with keepers
- Animal behavior
- Animal rights
- Animal studies
- Companion animal
- Domestication of the horse
- Origin of the domestic dog
- Service animal
- Mills, Daniel S. "Anthrozoology", The Encyclopedia of Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare. CABI 2010, pp. 28–30.
Professional Bodies, Research Centers and Journals
- CIAS: Center for the Interaction of Animals and Society - a multi-disciplinary research center within the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
- IAHAIO: International Association of Human-Animal Interaction Organizations - founded in 1990 to gather together national associations and related organizations interested in advancing the understanding and appreciation of the link between animals and humans.
- ISAZ: International Society for Anthrozoology - Publishes the journal Anthrozoös
- Society & Animals Forum (formerly PSYETA) - Publishes the journal Society & Animals
- Anthrozoology Research Group - based in Australia, founded by Dr Pauleen Bennett, affiliated with The Animal Welfare Science Centre collaborative
Papers published by the International Society for the Study of Anthrozoology
- Compatibility Stereotypes of People and Pets
- Behavior of Children with Learning Disabilities Interacting with a Therapy Dog
- Realistic Representations of Companion Animals in Comic Art in the USA
- Advertising Animal Protection
- Speciesism, Anthropocentrism, and Non-Western Cultures
- Whale Shark Tourism in Ningaloo Marine Park, Australia
- Judgments of Cruelty to Animals: Sex Differences and Effect of Awareness of Suffering
- Motivations and Characteristics of Volunteer Flying-Fox Rehabilitators in Australia
- Pets’ Roles in Parents’ Bereavement
- Recent Shifts Regarding the Relationship between People and Other Animals in Japanese Culture
- How Depressive Moods Affect the Behavior of Singly Living Persons Towards Their Cats
- Bonds of trust shown between Zookeepers and Captive Animals
- Anthrozoology.org - list of anthrozoological departments and journals worldwide
- Anthrozoology Research Group
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|