Psychometrics is the field of study concerned with the theory and technique of psychological measurement, which includes the measurement of knowledge, abilities, attitudes, and personality traits. The field is primarily concerned with the study of differences between individuals. It involves two major research tasks, namely: (i) the construction of instruments and procedures for measurement; and (ii) the development and refinement of theoretical approaches to measurement...
- * Academic achievement and aptitude measures
- * Attitude and interest measures
- * Developmental measures
- * Intelligence measures
- * Measures of individual personality traits
- * Neuropsychological measures
- * Nonprojective personality measures
- * Perceptual measures
- * Projective personality measures
Key texts (Books)
- Anastasi, A. (1988). Psychological testing (6th ed.). New York: Macmillan.
- Bonjean, C. M., Hill, R. J., & McLemore, S. D. (1967). Sociological measurement: An inventory of scales and indices. San Francisco: Chandler Publishing Company.
- Chun, K., Cobb, S., & French, J. R. (1975). Measures for psychological assessment: A guide to 3,000 original sources and their applications. Ann Arbor, MI: Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research.
- Encyclopedia of Psychological Assessment. Edited by Rocio Fernandez-Ballesteros. London: Sage, 2003. (2 vols.) London ; Thousand Oaks, Calif. : SAGE Publications ISBN 0761954945
- Comprehensive Handbook of Psychological Assessment. ed by Michel Hersen. New York: Wiley, 2004.
- The Handbook of psychological testing
- Dictionary of behavioral assessment techniques / Michel Hersen, Alan S. Bellack (eds.). 1988. New York : Pergamon Press, ISBN 0080319750
- Mental Measurements Yearbook. Buros, Oscar K. ed. Lincoln: Buros Institute, 1937-
- Dictionary of behavioral assessment techniques / Michel Hersen and Alan S. Bellack (eds). New York : Pergamon Press 1988. ISBN 0080319750
- Dictionary of psychological testing, assessment, and treatment : includes key terms in statistics, psychological testing, experimental methods, and therapeutic treatments / Ian Stuart-Hamilton.London ; Bristol, Pa. : Jessica Kingsley Publishers, c1996. ISBN 1853021474 (pbk.) 1853022012 (hbk)
- Goldman, B. A., & Saunders, J. L. (1995). Directory of unpublished experimental mental measures (volume 6). New York: Behavioral Publications.
- Groth-Marnat, Gary. Handbook of Psychological Assessment 3rd edition. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1997.
- Hersen, M. (ed) (2003). Comprehensive handbook of psychological assessement. Hoboken, N.J. : J. Wiley & S ons.
- Hersen, M., & Bellack, A. S. (eds) (1988). Dictionary of behavioral assessment techniques. New York: P ergamon.
- Kendall's Australian directory: a comprehensive directory of occupational and vocational tests, inventories and organisational survey questionnaires. Melbourne : PsychMetrics 1996. ISSN 1326-7094
- Kline, Paul. The Handbook of Psychological Testing. New York: Routledge, 1999.
- Major psychological assessment instruments / Charles S. Newmark (ed.) Boston : Allyn and Bacon 1996. ISBN 0205168698
- Measures for psychological assessment: a guide to 3,000 original sources and their applications / Ki-Taek Chun, Sidney Cobb, John R.P. French, Jr. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research 1975. ISBN 0879441682
- Personality tests and reviews ; including an index to The mental measurements yearbooks / Oscar Krisen Buros. (ed). Highland Park, N.J., Gryphon Press 1970-75. ISBN 0910674108
- Psychware sourcebook / compiled and edited by Samuel E. Krug. Champaign, Ill. : Metritech 1993 ISBN 0963589504
- Tests : A Comprehensive Reference for Assessments in Psychology, Education and Business / Taddy Maddox (ed.) 5th ed. Kansas City : Test Corp. of America. 2003. ISBN 0961128607
- Tests in Print VI: an index to tests, test reviews, and the literature on specific tests / edited by Linda L. Murphy, ... [et. al.]. Lincoln, Neb. : Buros Institute of Mental Measurements, University of Nebraska-Lincoln : Distributed by the University of Nebraska Press, 2002. ISBN 0910674566
Additional material – Books
- Hammill, D., Brown, L., & Bryant, B. R. (1994). A consumer's guide to tests in print (2nd Ed.). Austin, TX: PRO-ED.
- Keyser, D. J., & Sweetland, R. C. (eds) (1991). Tests: A comprehensive reference for assessment in psychology, education, and business (3rd ed.). Austin, TX: PRO-ED.
- Kline, P. (1993). The handbook of psychological testing. New York: Routledge
- Miller, D. C. (1991). Handbook of research design and social measurement (5th ed.). New Park, CA: Sage.
- O'Brien, N. P. (1988). Comprehensive test construction: A bibliography of selected sources. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing. Committee to Develop Standards of Educational Psychological Testing. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Sweetland, R. & Keyser, D. J. (Eds.). (various) Tests: A comprehensive reference for assessments in psychologiy, education, and business. Austin, TX: PRO-ED.
Key texts – Papers
Additional material - Papers
- Google Scholar
- Ball, J. D., Archer, R. P., & Imhof, E. A. (1994).Time requirements of psychological testing: a survey of practitioners. J Pers Assess, 63, 239-49. PMID 7965569 Useful table of times
- Camara, W., Nathan, J., & Puente, A. (2000). Psychological test usage: Implications in professional psychology. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 31, 141-154.
- Ludin, K., & DeFillipis, N. (1999). Proposed schedule of usual and customary test administration times. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 13, 433-436
- Meyer, G., et. al. (2001). Psychological testing and psychological assessment: A review of evidence and issues. American Psychologist, 56, 128-165. Full text
Please copy and paste this prompt to other appropriate areas. Feel free to edit as necessary
Psychometric assessment: Academic support materials
- Psychometric assessment: Lecture slides
- Psychometric assessment: Lecture notes
- Psychometric assessment: Lecture handouts
- Psychometric assessment: Multimedia materials
- Psychometric assessment: Other academic support materials
- Psychometric assessment: Anonymous fictional case studies for training