Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Within phonetics, a phone is:
- a speech sound or gesture considered a physical event without regard to its place in the phonology of a language
- a speech segment that possesses distinct physical or perceptual properties
- the basic unit revealed via phonetic speech analysis
A phonetic transcription is enclosed within square brackets, rather than the slashes of a phonemic transcription.
- Phoneme, a set of phones that are cognitively equivalent (the "same" sound or element of sign).
- Allophone, one phone of the many that constitute a phoneme
- List of phonetics topics