Psychology Wiki

Assessment | Biopsychology | Comparative | Cognitive | Developmental | Language | Individual differences | Personality | Philosophy | Social |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |

Professional Psychology: Debating Chamber · Psychology Journals · Psychologists

A research assistant (RA) is a junior graduate scholar, employed on a temporary contract by a college or university for the purpose of academic research. A research assistant usually works on a project supervised by one or more full-time academics who are responsible for administering the funds from which he or she is paid.

Nowadays, most research assistantships are awarded to graduate assistants, i.e. graduate students who work towards an advanced degree (e.g. M.S. or Ph.D.). Depending on the funding, these appointments generally last until the completion of their degrees.

In some universities the title research associate is used instead of "assistant", although a research associate is more likely to have a doctorate. Older and more experienced contract holders may have the title of Research Fellow.

de:Wissenschaftliche_Hilfskraft sl:Asistent

This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).